Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Jerky: Home Made and Boot Camp Friendly


Jerky is a great addition to your boot camp meal plan because it is a good source of protein and very easy to carry for a snack on the go. Best of all, when you make your own jerky, you are in control of every ingredient - so you can avoid all the strange chemicals and added sugar. I took it a step further, and built my own jerky maker!

I found some good information on making your own jerky on one of my favorite new sites Mark's Daily Apple. They have recipes for marinades and a couple variations on how to prepare your own jerky.

To build the drier, I followed a plan from Lex Rooker on how to make a Jerky Drier. It's a simple design, because the materials are super cheap and it was actually fun to make.
Of course, I was determined to find a nicer looking box, and Target had file storage boxes that fit the bill.

I'll be trying different types of meat, as well as some fruit when I get more adventurous. Mark's Daily Apple also has info on drying fruit.

All in all, I'm really pleased with my first batch. I used flank steak, and went very easy on the seasoning (just garlic, sea salt and pepper), which was nice because I could actually taste the flavor of the meat! That was a first.

The verdict from Jeff on the first test batch: "Needs more salt." Ok, he also said MSG, but he was kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers