Friday, August 6, 2010

Get the South out of Your Mouth!

Dear Friends,

As promised, I’ve got a racing story to share.  I’m going to keep it short and sweet as I have another topic I want to get off my chest today too!

Ok, as I told you last week, I was trying to sneak up on the race and not trigger my body too much with thoughts of it.  In case you can’t tell, I can be a bit competitive and maybe a little intense about some things.  I have a tendency to put a race on my calendar and every single day, I race that race in my head.  Everything I do revolves around preparing myself for that event.  It sets up this full expectation within my body and mind of that day.  Some races I’ve done in my short Triathlon career are favorites of mine and I envision being in them again even 9 months to a year from the big event!

For last weeks race, I didn’t let myself think about it.  First of all, I’ve had so many injuries lately I was holding my breath that I wouldn’t sustain another one before Sunday morning.  The disappointment of having written IN PEN 10 races on my calendar - -and paying for several of them up front – and then not getting to race in them wears on you.  So anyway, I didn’t think about it.  Well, until the night before!

I was so excited.  I was jumping up and down and squealing like my little girl.  Clapping my hands, bouncing, ahhh the joy of the race was upon me!  If you haven’t raced in a while, you just must get off the dime and get your bootie to the line.  It’s such a blast.

The race itself didn’t disappoint me either.  I haven’t lived here for that long, but found it really nice to be recognized at the race by some folks I know and to meet some new people. I really enjoy how friendly triathletes are.  From all of my experiences, triathletes are some of the friendliest folks I’ve ever run with.  Was so nice having inspirational chats with folks in the potty line, on the line at the bike racks, and waiting to get into the water.

I did well too.  How pleasantly surprised I was to finish first in my age group!  Not a bad way to get my tri groove going again.  I hope to see you out there.  Come on out and look for me!  I’d be thrilled to say hey and share the road with you.

Now for the thing that’s kind of burning in my belly today – literally.  You know how the south is known for it’s “Southern Cooking”?  What the heck is that all about?  I’m sure Paula Deen isn’t going to be thrilled with me for saying this, but why on earth has this happened?

Have you ever thought about all of the fresh, beautiful, real, natural, life sustaining food that comes from the South?  All of the amazing fruit trees, vegetable gardens, cattle ranches, bee charmers, chicken farms, etc that blanket this gorgeous countryside and we’re known for FRYING everything??  Really?  Why?  Why?  Why?

I’m so perplexed by this.  We should be the Fitness Capital of the South.  We really should.

What do we need to do to claim our rightful title?

We need to, one at a time, make the commitment to make different requests when we’re out in the world.  We need to, each of us, raise the standard we’ll accept with the food fed to our children in schools.  We need to demand that our servers in restaurants ask the cook/chef to make our food clean so often that the restaurant begins to add our requests to the regular menu.

We must want better for ourselves so badly that we’re willing to take a stand.

We must be willing to show up differently at parties, social outings, work, family gatherings, oh, and with ourselves!

It needs to be ok to be sweaty from a great workout!
It needs to be ok to pack your cooler of food.
It needs to be ok to bring your own food to a Falcons or Braves or Thrashers game so you are able to eat something that’s actually good for you while you’re attending the event.

We must set the standard and stand up for it, not relinquishing until it is met!

.8 out of 10 in Colorado are fit and healthy!  7 out of 10 in Georgia are OBESE.

We can do better than this.

Let’s raise the bar.  Let’s change our culture.  We are NOT the Fried Food Capital – We Are the Fitness Capital!

Are you with me?

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers