Friday, May 7, 2010

Camper P.O.V.

Welcome to our Camper P.O.V. series. We'll be following a camper's journey through one of our many locations. Check back weekly for updates on their goals, successes and challenges. This month we visit with Katie Drew Clay who has entered into her own "Motivational May."

Week 1:
Words like “athletic,” “outdoorsy” and “early riser” have never been used to describe me. So what in the world am I doing running hills and busting out push-ups in Chastain Park at 6AM?
Because it’s time for a change, and Boot Camp was my answer to shaking up my usual treadmill routine -- which was almost never followed by any type of weight lifting or muscle toning. Recruited by my friend, Sabrina, to attend “Bring a Friend Day” last month, I figured it was a great way to see what it was all about without making any long term commitment. After all, as someone who could barely wakeup at 7:30AM, how in world was I supposed to wake up at 5:30AM every day?
But after a successful workout, I knew I needed to kick start my fitness routine – especially with bathing suit AND wedding season fast approaching – so I committed to ‘Motivational May!”
With one week down, I’m proud to say I woke up every morning in time for group workout! And while it was hard the first couple days, I think I’m getting the hang of it. I love the structure of the workout because it takes the “thinking” out of it. One day it’s arms and abs, other days it’s legs and cardio. I’m confident that I’m working out all areas of my body, and I’m excited to see the results. I’ve also really enjoyed getting to know our group in the park, and the instructors have been great. They are super encouraging and push you to do the best you can. Before I know it, the sun’s coming up and our 45 minutes together is winding down. Off to start another day!
The meal plan has taken some getting used to. I’m not a stranger to diets, but the concept of eating six small meals a day is a little tough for me to grasp. Believe it or not, I feel like I’m almost eating too much. Eating something every couple of hours is great because I never feel deprived, but after having the mindset of eating less for so long, it’s hard to readjust my thinking. The other obstacle I’m facing is cutting out sweets. I guess that’s a pretty universal struggle, huh? This week we’ve had so many treats in the office, and while I haven’t indulged like I would have normally, I have snuck a bite or two here and there of some cookies and cake. My goal is to stay on plan throughout the weekend, and to refocus on Monday with cutting out sweets period.
That being said, I feel like I’m off to a pretty good start. I’m really looking forward to seeing results after this month, and I thought I’d share with you my PT results and goals, so you’ll be in the loop on what I’m trying to accomplish!

PT Result: Mile Run: 9:25, Push-Ups: 31, Sit-Ups: 30, Dips: 34

GOALS:
-perfect attendance
-complete all weekend homework
-stick to the meal plan
-run a mile in under 9 minutes
-fit into my bridesmaid’s dress (with a little extra room)

Katie Drew is a camper at our Chastain Park location. She hails from Macon, Georgia and loves celebrity gossip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers