Friday, May 28, 2010

Camper P.O.V.


Welcome to our Camper P.O.V. series. We'll be following a camper's journey through one of our many locations. Check back weekly for updates on their goals, successes and challenges. This month we visit with Katie Drew Clay who has entered into her own "Motivational May."

I can’t believe “Motivational May” is officially over! Where in the world did these four weeks go?
This last week got off to an interesting start. Anxious to get back into my routine after a girls’ weekend beach trip, I was legitimately excited to wake up early on Monday to workout (which is an accomplishment in and of itself because I’ve never been “excited” to wake up early.) However, the stars did not align Monday morning. Not only did I forget my keys when trying to get out the door (a highly unusual occurrence for me), but I also forgot my shoes. How can you forget shoes? Well, I keep my nasty old tennis shoes out in the garage, and after being thrown off my routine with the last minute scavenger hunt for my keys, I jumped in the car without them. I was about halfway to Boot Camp when I remembered, and turning around to get them put a huge limit on my time, so I missed the workout. Yeah, not the start to the week I was hoping for.
The rest of the week flew by without a hitch, and I can’t believe I survived the four weeks. Before this experience, the idea of boot camp wasn’t even distant dream for me because I had immediately ruled it out as something I would never do. Outdoor workouts before the sun came up? You would’ve had to be kidding me. And now, look at me…still subconsciously waking up early to go meet the group!
Sure, the four weeks had its ups and downs, and while I can say that I won’t miss waking up at 5:30AM every morning, I will miss the productivity and sense of accomplishment that came with those morning workouts. I’m absolutely thrilled with my experience at Operation Boot Camp, Chastain Park, and I’m proud to report that my hard work paid off! I feel better than I have in a while, and I’m leaving camp with the continued motivation to keep going.
Unfortunately, I’m unable to participate in “Jiggle-less June” with the other campers since wedding season will be in full tilt and numerous occasions take me away from Atlanta this month; but I feel like I’ve learned so many valuable exercises that I can incorporate back into my treadmill routine. Just yesterday, I ran three miles in 27 minutes (a long time goal of mine) and worked my core and legs afterwards. I’m excited to re-discover my own exercise routines, and while I may be away for the summer, don’t count me out to start waking up early again in the fall!

Good luck to everyone with their own Boot Camp endeavors! Have a great summer!
--
Ending Results:
PT Results: Mile Run: 9:258:46, Push-Ups: 3134, Sit-Ups: 3032
GOALS:
1) perfect attendance and 2) stick to the meal planUnfortunately, I fell short on these first two goals. I’m okay with it though – knowing I gave it the best I could.
3) run a mile in under 9 minutes. I did it! And while the other goals were important, this is the one that I kept in my mind all four weeks. Tangible proof that hard work pays off!
4) fit into my bridesmaid’s dress (with a little extra room)I’ve tried it on and it fits! I’ll be looking good at this wedding!

Katie Drew is a camper at our Chastain Park location. She hails from Macon, Georgia and loves celebrity gossip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers