Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Packing your lunch

When checking log books I encourage people to pack their own lunch.  Many of the objections are completely reasonable-most people don't have time in the morning and who knows what to pack?  Preparing yourself for the day with boot camp and goal friendly foods is key to reaching those goals and feeling good.  At times, it can feel like showing up to camp is one of the easiest parts-making goal-supporting choices the rest of the day is what is often most challenging.  Well, friends, I pack a lunch everyday and have found some things very helpful.  My number one tool of choice is Laptop Lunches lunchbox (their site also has a lot of great lunch ideas, check the photo area.)  It has great little portion divisions and helps me remember what I'm trying to pack-when I've got an empty square I think "what am I missing?"  It also slides easily into backpacks, purses or messenger bags.  I have found laptop lunches at local health food stores but they're also available online.  Don't be turned off by the price tag -usually around $20- you will love it and use it every day.  What I like about this bento box style lunchbox is that it keeps the portions under control as well as keeps variety in my diet.

When preparing lunch I keep the following in mind:

  • color-as much as possible!
  • variety
  • fresh, non processed foods
  • use what I have-leftovers welcome
  • protein, fruit, vegetable
  • pretty. yes, I said pretty.  Pretty=appetizing.  

So here's what I put in it on a regular basis:

carrots
hard boiled eggs
diced apples with walnuts
laughing cow cheese
babybel light cheese
edamame
frozen cooked shrimp (thawed by lunch)
cucumbers
grapes with walnuts
peanut butter for dipping
homemade lara-like bars
green salad-lettuce, carrots, tomato
tomato & avocado salad
beets with crumbled goat cheese
egg salad with pita chips
greek yogurt (i mix with fruit or with dill for a dip for veggies)
tuna salad
black bean & corn salad
cous cous
texas caviar (field peas, garlic, red onion, black-eyed peas)
cherry tomatoes
pistachios

*it should be noted that the only meat protein I eat is seafood

Still don't believe me?  I started packing Melissa's lunch for her and she lost 9 pounds over about 3 months.  She's always done a good job with portion control but she was needing more fresh foods.  She'd been eating lots of frozen meals-Lean Cuisine, SmartOnes etc.-but she needed more variety and fresh foods-have I said that enough?

Happy Lunching!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers