Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Before and After: Joy Carroll


Joy Carroll loses 20 pounds

    By Michelle C. Brooks 
For the AJC
                                                        Former weight: 
175 pounds
Family photoJoy Carroll weighed 175 pounds when this photo was taken in February 2010.
Family photo32-year-old Joy Carroll reached her weight loss goal in January 2011, just less than a year after her journey began. In this March 2011 photo she weighs 155 pounds.


    Current weight: 
155 pounds
    Height: 5 feet 10 inches
    How long she’s kept it off: Carroll started her journey in March 2010 and reached her goal in January.
    Personal life: Carroll is an inside sales representative for an electrical parts distributor. Since June, she’s worked as a boot camp instructor with Operation Boot Camp. She lives with her fiancé and a brindle boxer, Cloey, in Braselton.
    Turning point: “As an adult, I tried diet after diet, but wasn’t able to incorporate exercise because of the negative voices in my head about going to the gym and the other people around — what were they going to think of me, or what if anything would they say?” Carroll said. In February 2010, she went to Mexico, and when she came back, she was shocked to see her vacation photos. “The person that was in the picture didn’t look like me. ... I couldn’t believe that I had let myself go for so long.” In March, she started a 30-day program with the North Georgia franchise of Operation Boot Camp (www.operation
bootcamp.com).
    Diet plan: She follows the Bill Phillips Body-for-Life program. At every meal, she eats a protein and complex carbohydrate such as a fruit or vegetable. She eats four to six meals per day, which eliminates between-meal hunger.
    Exercise routine: She exercises five to six days per week for 45 minutes. She works out a different muscle group each day to create muscle confusion.
    Biggest challenge: “The biggest challenge was not buying too many clothes in the body transition,” she said. “I have embraced the Goodwill store and the clearance racks.”
    How life has changed: “Now I wake up every morning with positive energy and willingness to start a new day. I have lost so many inches ... my insomnia is gone. It feels so great to love myself and love life again.”
    After four months of boot camp, in June 2010 she was pleased with how boot camp changed her life, so she became a boot camp instructor. “With the journey of fitness, I have regained my self-worth and self-confidence.”

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Followers