Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Before and After: Jessica Reyes


San Jose, CA boot camper Jessica Reyes went from a size 18 to a size 12 and now proudly enjoys running as her favorite healthy habit.  Read about her Operation Boot Camp journey below.  
what brought you to boot camp?
Growing up I was always playing sports from softball to soccer and once I finished playing sports in college I found myself eating the same and not exercising.  I gained a bunch of weight!  I wanted to find something that would give me that team feeling, motivate me, and that would push me further than I could push myself
how long have you been doing it?
I started at the San Jose, CA bootcamp in November 2010 and am still doing it to this day.  I don't know a better way to start my day than with my OBC family.
what were your goals?  have you achieved them?  what are they now?
Looking back in my logbooks I found that my goals were such things as 'lose 10 pounds' in one month's time.  I was able to achieve 9 pounds that month but i found that the scale was not showing all the hardwork and dedication that I putting in.  I started bootcamp at 216 pounds and I am now 174 pounds.  My goals now are to complete a half marathon in June and a full marathon in October.  I am well on my way, training during the week by myself and on the weekends with some of the OBC ladies.

what are your results?
I've gone from a size 18 to a size 12 and I've lost up-to-date, 42 pounds since November and it is now April.  I've found that I LOVE running, it has become my healthy habit.

what were you expecting? 
I was expecting SO much in my first month of bootcamp.  I was nervous that I would hurt my back, as I have previous back injury. The instructors were so helpful in helping me do modified versions of exercises that I was unable to do.  I had so much support from instructors and also other campers.  I was holding myself back and now I have developed my own motivation to push myself.  My back is no longer an issue due to my weight loss and I am even asked to do extra exercises by the instructors.  It feels awesome!

what would you tell someone who was nervous about joining?
Just try it! Do it for one month! I guarantee that if you push yourself and really stick to your goals that you will achieve them.  You aren't alone and not everyone is super fit.  I felt like I would be the only BIG girl out there but guess what?  I wasn't.  Everyone has to start somewhere and everyone pushes you to be better than you are.  I guarantee you will see results!

what has been the most surprising?
The most surprising thing happened to me during my end of the month physical fitness test.  I was shooting for a 8:10 minute mile when I surpassed that by getting a 7:43 minute mile.  I could not believe what I heard when I crossed the end of the mile and our instructor Ronny yelled out my time.  I was so happy inside that I felt like crying because it was an accomplishment that I did not even feel ready for.  Now my fellow OBC campers tell me that I'm in the 7-Club.  7 minute mile club!  I am definitely okay with that.

how have the instructors helped you?
Where do I begin?  I am always being pushed by the instructors everyday.  When they see me master an exercise they always have a way to make it more challenging for me.  They encourage me to go faster, push harder, and set better goals for myself.  They also remind me to take care of myself and know when to rest.  Our trainers remind us that we need to eat 'clean' and it will make all the difference with our fitness.. and it has.  At times they have reminded me of where I used to be and how far I've come and they are truly proud of me.  It makes me feel good to show up and work hard and have the instructors notice the results.
how has it impacted your life?
Operation Bootcamp has change my life completely.  I can not stress this enough.  The support, motivation, and great workouts give me a jumpstart every morning.  I have a better attitude and am happier more than I was before.  With the weight loss, I am more confident and I look better.  Bootcamp has improved every part of my life from my personal relationships to walking up the stairs.  I've gained lasting friendships and of course MUSCLE!  When I am running I constantly think to myself how lucky I am.  I never thought I would have come this far with my fitness and I am proud of myself.  I feel like I can do anything.

what's been the most challenging?
Eating.  Eating has been the most challenging thing for me.  Let me just say this.  My favorite food is spaghetti.  I used to eat bowls of spaghetti for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I was working out to maintain my high weight.  I enjoy carbs and sugars.  With constant guidance I have changed my entire eating habits.  I no longer have to worry about making bad choices, I make knowledgeable ones that are smart and clean for my body.

what's your favorite workout?
This is an easy one! Tabata.  I found out the hard way that I was doing squats the wrong way this whole time until I did tabata workout.  I was cheating myself out of my squats.  Now, I get low. Now, my rear thanks me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers