Thursday, July 15, 2010

Why Not Me?

I read a story about Lance Armstrong a while ago when he was recovering from cancer that he had gone for a ride with some friends up in the Smoky Mountains on a rainy day.  He wasn’t having the best of days, dejected and ready to ride away from competing.  It was a do or die kind of day for him.

They were at the end of the ride when his friend beckoned him up a hill.  (Man I love a hill!)  He decided to follow and on that rainy uphill climb recommitted himself to chasing his dreams.

I read that story and wondered what would have happened if he hadn’t taken that turn.  What if he hadn’t decided to press on when he was at the bottom – literally and figuratively?

We discover what is inside when we get squeezed.

What’s really inside of you?

What comes out when you get squeezed?  Do you take the turn uphill or do you tuck tail and head back to the house?

I am very much a glass half full kind of girl.  It is my mission to find the seeds of greatness I believe are firmly planted in each of you.  When you get squeezed, when you’re at the bottom of a hill, I challenge you to stay centered, find your rhythm and wind your way uphill.

I found myself contemplating my dreams for my life while on a bike ride yesterday.  I found myself shooting myself down, realizing I wasn’t allowing myself to see Me winning, accomplishing, succeeding at my hearts desire.  I realized that I didn’t believe it could be Me accomplishing those lofty goals and then I thought of Lance and his dreary, dejected day and realized on that day, he asked the question – why not?  Why not me?

I say make the world tell us no!  Make the world tell us it’s not possible.  What I mean by that is don’t choose the answer.  Don’t decide that it’s not possible.  We have a saying in boot camp – there’s no “I can’t” in camp, it’s always “I’ll try”.  When you don’t try, you are deciding the answer, aren’t you?  If you don’t try, you are choosing for the answer to be No!  I say try!  Find out what is possible when you dare to dream, when you dare to wonder, when you dare to throw your head down and haul it full force toward your dreams.

Find out what the answer is.  Dare to find out what it feels like when the answer turns out to be, yes, it can be you – it is you!  It’s your time, it’s your turn, it’s you.

Fiercely,

Melly Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers