Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hurry up and stand still: Why runners need yoga



By John Farah
Think it's ok to skip all your post workout stretching?  It may be for a little while but learn how the Marathon Man, John Farah, learned of Yoga's part in staying injury free.
(CNN) -- My friend Christine was into yoga long before it went mainstream, and she was good at it.Editor's note: John Farah is the co-author of "Let's Pick it up a Bit," a memoir and a guide to help people lead an active life. He has run more than 430 races, including 123 marathons.
She attended yoga camps, went on a yearly trek to India and even ritually cleansed her sinuses with warm saltwater -- literally sucked it up through her nose. She claimed it possessed a healing value and kept her from getting a cold.
That was the '70s.
She tried to convince me back then that yoga would be good for me, that it would loosen up my muscles and increase my body's longevity. I wanted nothing to do with it.  continue reading. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers